Based in Leipzig, Germany
July 23rd 2014
The Wizard is a quirky, turn-based dungeon puzzler with an unique spell casting system, lovely 16bit-look and high-quality soundtrack. You play as the exceptionally handsome but uneducated wizard Kevin, whose good looks have just been stolen. The pursuit of the mysterious thief leads you down to the dangerous dungeons underneath the wizard academy. There you'll encounter mythical monsters, discover powerful spell gestures and improve your newfound abilities with the experience you gain to catch the thief and reclaim your beautiful face. At its core, The Wizard is a dungeon crawler with a heavy emphasis on finding the optimal strategy to advance. Each level and enemy type presents the player with a different challenge that can be overcome in various ways. To beat the game, the player will have to plan ahead and use the different spells wisely. With the experience gained by defeating enemies, the player can improve individual spells to shape the gameplay experience. Additionally hidden spells with particularly powerful effects can be discovered throughout the game. The game was developed in HTML5 and runs on PC (Linux, Windows, iOS), tablets and mobile devices using an up-to-date browser. Upon release, the game will be playable for free on the Hypnotic Owl website.
The Wizard started out as a small experiment with the Phaser framework. It featured the faceless wizard and a single level inhabited by rats. When the first spells were added to the game, the developers were dissatisfied with simply placing icons for them on the HUD. Instead they implemented a basic gesture system. Though it was primitive, it turned out to be a fun alternative to common icon bars. Around this time they heard of the Tizen App Challenge. Despite having only a month until the deadline, they decided to develop a complete game from the prototype and partake in the competition. At the end, however, porting issues prevented the game from entering. This prompted the developers to aim for a release on browser game portals instead.
- Brain-teasing, turn-based dungeon crawl
- Unique gesture-based spell casting
- Lovely retro graphics by Oryx & Rieke Helms
- A whimsical, goofy story
- Magical soundtrack by Hannes Flor
- 15 challenging level
- 11 distinctive, upgradable spells
- 3 difficulty settings
- Playable on smart phones, tablets, PC and Mac
- Supports touch, mouse and keyboard input
- Supports Xbox controller in Chrome
Totally Official Trailer YouTube
First Impression by GamerFi YouTube
Logo & Icon
- "[A] freeware browser game that feels like a full-blown, commercial indie production."
- Konstantinos Dimopoulos, Rock Paper Shotgun
- "A lot of games have tried gesture-based magic spells in the past, but The Wizard takes a potentially fiddly system and makes it easy to use"
- Dora Breckinridge, Jay Is Games
- "The Wizard looks like it’s going to be a lot of fun."
- Laura Klotz, IndieGameMag.com
- "The trailer is hilarious and worth watching for its own sake, but the game itself is good, too."
- Lena LeRay, IndieGames.com
The Birth of The Wizard
First part of the Post Mortem covering the conception of The Wizard https:.
The Design of The Wizard Part 1: Walking
Second part of the Post Mortem covering the design of the walking system https:.
The Design of The Wizard Part 2: Spellcasting
Third part of the Post Mortem covering the design of the spellcasting system https:.
The Design of The Wizard Part 3: Level and Story
Fourth part of the Post Mortem covering the level design and story https:.
About Hypnotic Owl
Hypnotic Owl is a Germany-based independent game studio consisting of Jan Lachnit and Hannes Flor. In cooperation with various freelancers they develop games focused on the narrative and unusual game mechanics.
More information on Hypnotic Owl, our logo & relevant media are available here.
The Wizard Credits
Game Design & Programming, Hypnotic Owl
Sound Designer, Freelancer